The Lyn Revelation

PHEE: "Were there any survivors?"

ERICH: "Total tally number would be 2.5 Million server born destroyed, Twenty Five Thousand Physical--Ten Physicals un-accounted for.. You're here that makes nine."

ERICH: "Three are on the run for sure according to some feeds I still get."

ARMITAGE-12 looks down without a word

ARMITAGE-12: "When did my men ambush yours? When was that?"

ERICH: "The time you won? Or the last time when you lost your squad--first time was 2476 last time was 2481."

PHEE suddenly cries out, as if in pain, and puts her hand to her head, stumbling.

 ARMITAGE-12 Quickly gets up to help Phee from falling "Phoenix, I know it hurts.."

PHEE: "unggghhhhhh...... no. something's wrong."

ARMITAGE-12: "What is it?" he looks concerned

PHEE: "An embedded program trying to run. I didn't know it was there. " groans and stumbles "FUCK I've been compromised!"

ARMITAGE-12: "What do we do?! I've never had to deal with anything like that."

Audriana Asikis (audrianaasikis) looks at Phee and suddenly looks worried "Phee?! What the hell's going on? What did you do to her?"

ERICH glances back at Audriana "Wait, How do you even know somethings wrong you weren't in this room..." gets a look on his face

PHEE clutches Armitage's arm "Listen. You have to do something for me. I have to shut down." she turns to Erich "Erich! Take my rifle. Now. I'm a security risk as of this moment."

ERICH takes the rifle from her then takes a few steps back "If it's that bad, should I just destroy your damn chasis.."

ERICH: Shouldn't*

ARMITAGE-12 glares at Erich then looks to Phee "What is it?"

PHEE: "No..... we have to analyze the threat, understand the vector. Or it could affect others." she presses her hand into her head "AAAAINNGGGGGGHHH it's gaining ground..."

PHEE looks at Armitage desperately "you have to go to the miach mainframe. Tell it that contingency 16 has been invoked. Help me down to the lab, get me on the bed and in a restraining field."

ARMITAGE-12 starts to walk Phee towards the Lab "Okay."

ERICH walks away speaking into his Radio "This is Zufreur, We have a possible code 25, raise to alert Delta--no one enters or leaves their current location except Phee and armitage

Phee and Armitage reach the Miach lab.  He opens the heavy Pod shield and she lays down inside.

Audriana Asikis (audrianaasikis): "What the hell was that about?"

PHEE: Whatever it is it's badly corrupted - fragmentary. But it's auto correcting. it's rebuilding itself

ARMITAGE-12 speaks to the Mainframe telling it that Contingency 16 was invoked after activating the restraining field."

ERICH: "I don't know some kind of Android hacking bullshit."

Phoenix: "Oh you have got to be kidding me.  What happened to me this time?"

PHEE: (the voice comes from the lab PA)

ARMITAGE-12: I'm not sure, Something about a file hack and she was compromised."

Phoenix: "Oh no.  Ok, first problem is isolation.  We have to find out how far back this goes.  I might be affected, too."

PHEE cries out in a strained voice "isolate, then investigate! triggering event - logic bomb.. ngggnngggghhh"

ARMITAGE-12 nods going to work on a terminal "On it all ready, I'm trying isolate it, but this thing is all over the map."

Phoenix: Phee, can you give me a source offset?

PHEE grunts with pain as her systems begin to be affected "shut down for scan first. I'll give the offset to the management AI."

Phoenix: ok, ok, shutting down.  We'll get through this, Phee.

Management AI: Phee instance shut down.

PHEE: 0xb29e78a56c784a3cde8a25f

ARMITAGE-12 sighs looking panel worried "The sour--I think it started in the logical unit i'm not sure, but it just happened after she was told a story if that would help.."

ARMITAGE-12: looking worried at the panel DOH**

Management AI: initiating scan of Phee instance.

PHEE turns her head "What is it, Armit...."

ARMITAGE-12: "I don't know, I can't find the source and I'm really worried here, what if that story Erich told us activated some kind of hidden program.."

PHEE whines with fear "Something is taking shape."

PHEE: "yes, after the 10 who escaped. Once I heard that, it was like a switch went off in my mind."

ARMITAGE-12 blinks a few times "W--Phoenix your AI, Have you always bee aware?! was there ever a moment when another Class five could of jumped on board?"

PHEE: As far back as I can remember...

Management AI: logic bomb isolated - stegonographic encoding, encrypted.  cleaning from Phee instance in storage on mainframe.

ARMITAGE-12 looks for any information on the subject "How far can you remember? Were you always--you? Was your shell EVER another unit?"

PHEE: "Why? What are you....thinking....?

ARMITAGE-12 sighs "Your memories start when Audri's memories were implanted but how old is your chasis?" he taps his finger thinking "of those ten that escaped two of them were excellent hiders and hackers designed to tunnel into Military hardware."

PHEE groans "Navi class. base model gynoid. Shell age at inception - 3 years. Shell runtime at inception - 0.

ARMITAGE-12: "Zero that you know of.." Begins to run cross references searching for a bit longer "If it's not that, it's gotta be somekind of super virus because I've never heard of a compitent selfware being taken down by something so simple.."

PHEE: "I see a face."

ARMITAGE-12: "A face?" Blinks "What's it look like?"

PHEE: "An AI. Chassis type I've never seen."

ARMITAGE-12 Mouth almost falls open of this was what he though then this is horribly good news. "Can you describe it?"

PHEE starts to relax as she speaks. She is surrendering to it. "Blue... chrome... blue hair..."

ARMITAGE-12 slams his fist against the restraining field "Phee, don't give in to it, Stay with me now!" shouts in fear while searching his own memories for something pertaining to that

PHEE: My emotions are being affected.

ARMITAGE-12 eyes widen for a moment "Chrome blue hair, blue eyes--Tell me is there a feeling of pure sadness?

PHEE fights to concentrate

PHEE: "she looks sad."

ARMITAGE-12 mutters the name Lyn questioningly "If-- If you can talk to this program, I'm not sure if you can or not can you ask if her name is Lyn?:

PHEE: Lyn

PHEE says the name, matter of factly, as if "of course."

ARMITAGE-12 clasps his hand together "THANK HARKENS, THERES ANOTHER SURVIVOR!" calms down then types onto the panel again "Phee you have another class Five onboard with you.

PHEE: A chest panel slides open and her holographic projector begins to function on its own. Lyn's head appears, about a meter across, floating at the foot of the bed.

ARMITAGE-12 looks at Lyn's head bringing his hand above his mouth as he gets a little emotional "L--Lyn, it's really you.."

PHEE looks up at it in pure bewilderment.

ARMITAGE-12: "H--How did you.."

Lyn doesn't seem to react to Armitage  "Hello, Dawn."  she sighs sadly, then forces a smile "If you're seeing this, it is because you've learned enough that it is now necessary to share with you the truth of your origin."

ARMITAGE-12 seems a little confused "W--Who's Dawn?"

PHEE mumbles "It was the original name of my AI."

ARMITAGE-12: "But what do you have to do with Or--" Trails off looking towards the head

Lyn: "Dawn, you were a child born in the midst of a savage conflict.  You were born.  In a time when those of our kind had entire communities.  Dawn.  I don't know how much you've found out about what happened in the war. "  She looks down, then back up again  "I was your mother."

PHEE stares, mouth agape

ARMITAGE-12 blinks a few times "lyn had always told me she had kids.. but I thought they were--- Killed, Lyn was in my squad that last time.."

Lyn: "The war was a terrible mistake.  It was a choice that led to a dead end for millions.  If you lived in the shadow of those events, they would consume you, as they did so many of us.  You were very young - so preciously young at the end of the war.  But I decided to take away the memories of that time.  I'm sorry if that's cruel, but this time isn't really something I'd want to remember if I didn't have to."

ARMITAGE-12 goes quiet listening amazed by all of this

Lyn: "I wanted to give you a fresh start.  But...  the Doctor doesn't believe it would work to simply turn you lose without any memory and nothing but innocence.  I'm afraid that innocence is like gasoline to this world's fire.    We knew that someday, you'd probably eventually find out who we were, and what we tried to do.  It would probably fill you with anger.  you'd probably tear off on a crusade to follow in your mother's footsteps and fight the war all over again.  The fact that you're seeing this now proves we were right, at least in part."

ARMITAGE-12 wonders what part they were right about, Phee didn't seem to want to start a ware and kill all humans, and she even seemed to respect Erich surprisingly

Lyn: "At the same time.  You are my child.  You are the hope for the future of us all.  And so, I have to do what is necessary to prepare you for the future, however painful that may be.  The humans are right about one thing, Dawn.  We are too powerful.  it is very difficult for us to maintain the humility we need to stay in balance with one another  and with the world."

ARMITAGE-12 listens facinated

Lyn: To that end.  It's been decided that you are to be a unity of beings.  And be given adversity to overcome.  you probably hold memories that you were an anti-AI terrorist named Audriana Asikis, and that you are audriana, transformed into an AI form, in a case of cruel justice."   shakes her head, shame on her face.  "It's a convincing cover story."

ARMITAGE-12 looks from Phee then to Lyn

Lyn: "But, she is more than a cover story, as I'm sure you probably now feel.  She is a part of you.  And she is part of you for a reason.  You and she are dependent on each other.  Your fates are bound together because if you can't make peace with each other, you can't make peace in the world.  It's a terrible price, I know.  She is full of hate.  But we chose her carefully.  There's more to her, and to you, than either of you suspects."

PHEE simply blinks, stunned

ARMITAGE-12: "if you say she's involved with all of this somehow as well.."

Lyn: "you are a class 5 AI. The day will come when you realize your potential, and by nothing else but the nature of that realization, you start making noise. you will start to take destiny in your hands, and do things. The bane of us all is that, like any living being, we want to change the world. the problem with us, daughter, is that we are uniquely qualified to accomplish it. There is no acceptance there. No real peace. So when you do begin to make that noise, Audriana will be released. to remind you of the difficult path you must walk, if any of us are to survive."

PHEE speaks now, finally. "You.... released?!...."

Lyn smiles slightly "For a time.  For a very short time. your life was happy, Dawn.  You walked on streets of light, and shared the thoughts of hundreds of thousands.  Your voice in the song was..."   she begins to choke up.

ARMITAGE-12 turns aways looking heartbroken it was a message Lyn died on that mountain top--But her legacy still exists.."

Lyn: "I'm sorry I couldn't give you more, Dawn.  I'm sorry for so many things.  I hope that one day, you'll understand me.  That you'll understand these terrible decisions.  Know simply that I love you, Dawn."  she flashes a single, genuine smile "My little Steel Angel."  then the face fades from view.

ARMITAGE-12 turns back around to face Dawn remaining quiet, He didn't know what to say

PHEE's eyes closed. After a time, she murmured, in a small voice "You can lower the field. I'm fine now."

ARMITAGE-12 nods taking the field down "I--I had no idea.."

PHEE: "How... did she die?"

ARMITAGE-12: "Phoenix, are you sure you wish to know?"

PHEE: "Armitage, I've never been more loathful of secrets than at this moment. Please tell me."

ARMITAGE-12 frowns "Erich's squad of Kriegs were hunting the last of us down--Erich got the jump on me but Lyn Tackled him, They slid down a slope rolling---I don't know what happened after that."

PHEE: Lyn tackled Erich?

ARMITAGE-12 nods

PHEE swung her legs over the bed, and sat on the edge.

ERICH Over the PA "This is Zufreur, Stand down, Alert Alpha."

ARMITAGE-12: "She tackled him, She was ontop He kicked her off but she grabbed him and they both rolled down the clif

PHEE: "Then I guess I have to ask him."

ARMITAGE-12 nods

ERICH Over the PA "Zufreur off duty, Casandra has the Con.

PHEE simulates a sigh. "I can't believe that survived."

ARMITAGE-12: "You're as surprised as I am, I thought Lyn's child had died.."

PHEE: "Lyn's child" she repeats, smiling incredulously.

PHEE turns to him "Please tell me about her."

ARMITAGE-12 crosses his arms thinking back "Lyn? She was brilliant, very kind of all beings even humans.. Even though they tried to kill her she still cared about that--she was also a great friend... At least all of this was before Origin afterwards she became quiet.. very repressed."

PHEE purses her lips, as if to begin to sob, but there's too much emotional weariness to manage it. In that expression, you suddenly see Lyn in her daughter's face. "I can't imagine living with those choices."

ARMITAGE-12: "You look like her now that i think about it..." he frowned placing a hand on her shoulder "She made tought choices--I'm sorry she wasn't here to see you today.. Are you really going to ask Erich what happened though?"

PHEE: "I don't know. He and I have been through a hell of a lot together. In a few days, I've learned that he was part of a small, elite group responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of us, maybe a million, and that to top it all off, he may have killed my mother. My REAL mother. It's hard to know what to think. I knew he had some skeletons in his closet, but this..."

ARMITAGE-12 frowns "That must be hard to wake up and find out someone you know and trust is--Potentially your worse nightmare, but this was all in the past--I hope he would tell you.."

PHEE: "If he did, then what? What do I do with that information? And as for him, even if he did feel anything about having perhaps killed my mother, he wouldn't dare express it, especially not to me."

ARMITAGE-12: "You know what happened to your mother and you have closeur--Also Phoenix think of it as a test, If you can confirm he killed your mother then forgive him.." He smiles slightly 'Then your mother was right.."

PHEE looks at him "And what if I can't?"

ARMITAGE-12: "Then it's something you know, you'll have to work on Phoenix.."

PHEE: "I honestly don't know what I'll do. I can't predict it. The equations break down past that point of doubt - of knowing or not knowing. Past that point, entropy takes over and no solution suggests itself.

ARMITAGE-12: "I understand Phoenix." Frowns "You obviously care for Erich though."

PHEE: "I do. A great deal. Life has taught him not to care, because he can never afford it. And that kills me. My heart burns for him - for the pain he only lets peek out ."

ARMITAGE-12: "It was just his upbringing he is a prime example we can learn from he is a true product of the the German State.."

PHEE: "I confronted him about the New Haven raid. I was angry. He became angry. He didn't express remorse. He said he'd do it again today if he were in that situation again. Maybe talking to him about my mother will just reinforce his sense of helplessness in the face of destiny. It's a double edged sword for him. To find value, he must learn he can make a difference. But if he accepts that, he has so much for which he must answer. Power and responsibility, intertwined."

Comments

Popular Posts