Armitage-12

Phoenix stepped a bit closer, standing beside Erich now, looking at him as he looked outward into space beyond the station.

"Erich, he knows about you.  He's under my protection and he means you no harm.  But... at this point... it may help me to know more about your side of the story."

Erich shook his head "He fucking knows me?--Verdammt, verdammt küche maching!  What did he tell you?"

"There weren't 2000, Erich." her voice broke.

Erich sighed "natü----so he told you there were five hundred thousand eh?, Yea it's true there were more then 2000."

Phee choked out "They were... a community. with....children."

Erich kept calm and spoke in an honest tone "I know. We knew.. Doctor Harkens told us everything."

"Erich, why? They were defenseless in their mainframes?"

"Because I was ordered to that's why, and trust me when I say they were pretty much defenseless anyway." Turns around to face her "Look, Sky Angel wanted to build up their AI's they wanted to play wargames with us, They assault Berlin and killed woman and children--They did the same thing IN MY HOMETOWN of Munich, The only difference is we didn't have to turn Munich into a crater to get them out, SO YEA--We took them out, They wanted to play hardball so we played hardball."

Phee pleaded "They weren't playing hardball. They were simply living. You said they tried to make peace."

"After we fucking leveled Berlin, that still didn't account for them being you know, Class V Ai's- We were all ready fighting one Corporation wwe didnt need the UBC invading as well."

"So you killed them just for being alive. The same way you killed Dawn."

"Who the fu---I didn't even kill Dawn, that was Roahm, and we killed them for being a fucking abomination created by a power hungry freak named Doctor Harkens. Killed is hardly a word I'd use... Dismantled, took apart, destroyed. Yes. Killed? Hardly."

"Erich. The mainframes were physically destroyed. circuits were disrupted. Power still flowed for up to 200 ms. Out here, with you, I downclock so my reactions are in rhythm with yours, but in our own world, 200ms is like 200 minutes. That's a lot of time to know you're about to die. And to feel the pain of your mind flying apart."

"Then they shouldnt of declared war if they werent prepared to pay the fucking price, Doctor Harkens should of created chILDREN of all things in a location he knew would of been found eventually." Turns back towards the window "If you're trying to make me see it yours and his way you're speaking to a wall, I'd do it again if I had to the same damn way. Now why the hell is he here and does he know I'm on this station."

"Because he's a sentient refugee. I can grant sanctuary to whom I wish. He's here for the same reason all of us are here. We're hunted. And yes, he knows you are here."

"Damn it Phee---Which unit is he? Armitage-12 is unacceptable all of the units were destroyed.. Who is it?"

Phoenix spoke slowly and deliberately "Armitage 12. If you'd have done the same thing again, then what the hell's the point of all of this? Is this whole dream of peace that Ziebzen has just a crock of shit, as Audri might say?"

"What hell do you mean what's the point of this, That was then this is now, We were at war then." Pauses thinking for a moment at the name "Ah--That unit... Yes I remember him.." Scowls "Look I tolerate you because you're basically a fucking Human.. It's what you were, Him, the others? They're just one's and zero's that came out of no where to form that thing called life then they DEMAND we give them fair treatment acting like THATS HOW WE HUMANS WORK, wake up call, This peace is real but that doesn't stop how I feel inwardly."

"Wait. So I'm valid life why... " She motioned toward the bar, where Audri was "...because of HER?!"

Erich glanced back "You heard me.. If thats who you were then yea, you're valid because of her." He rubbed his temples.

Phoenix glared at him, wounded    "Erich, I don't remember anything about her. She's a memory of a memory to me, an old wive's tale handed down. My only connection to her is what a brain damaged, diseased clone brain thought it remembered before a very lossy procedure took place to scrape the engrams to upload to my core. If that's my claim to life..."

She unholsered her plasma rifle, disabled the LTL mod, sets the power to max and handed it to him, butt first.

"Then you might as well kill me now."

Erich blinked a few times, glaring back at Phee "Stop being such a fucking Drama Queen.. If you want to die, self terminate."

He spuns on his heals to walk out "This is too much for me at the moment ,I'm going to lay down and think about all of this, with that... HIM on this fucking station I'm going to need to be cautious..I know he has rage built up for me.."

"Erich! He expunged the rage from his own mind just because I told him we need peace here."

Erich paused "IF AI's are as human as you say they are, then he's still filled with rage.. I ripped out his wife's CPU in front of him and shot his fucking kid... And if he is as human as you say you guys are, he's filled with nothing but revenge.."

"Or, life is more than hatred, Ziebzen's dream makes sense, and i deserve to live outside the shadow of that ...monster." she points upward again.

Erich nodded "Yes it does... but right now I'm living in the real world not a dream world--I know if I were him I wouldn't want peace with me.. I won't make a move but anything he does is on your head Phee."

"Then go be surprised by him, and find out what it means to be human. From one of us."

She picked up her weapon and stormed out.



Comments

Popular Posts