Springing the Trap

Audriana squints through her mutlispectrum goggles, studying the flat carefully "Are you sure he's in there, Thomas?"  She crouches on the edge of a rooftop, wearing a black commando suit, festooned with weapons.  She wasn't going in on Xaris unarmed again.

Thomas:  "What's this questioning me bullshit?  When have I ever led you wrong?"

Ezekiel Xaris paced the room, pondering what to actually say in his message to Phee. They hadn't discussed that.  He knew it would likely be monitored. That was the plan, after all. A lure.  He sat on the bed, resisting the urge to look out the window. It would be foolish to appear suspicious. He began to enter commands into his wrist terminal, a superior model to his previous adornment.

Audriana:"You got the gear in place?"  she murmured

Thomas:  "Triangulated, and coordinated with our people in Gemini.  We're ready.”

Ezekiel_Xaris didn't like this. He knew as soon as the call lasted long enough for a trace to be completed, he'd encounter whatever force Audriana had arranged to be there. He'd made himself too tempting an asset. He figured he'd likely be used as a hostage. At least he could skip the interrogation step. The terminal beeped, it's connection finally established. "Phee?"

Thomas: "Line's hot!  Trace is up."  Thomas called out, looking at a 3d environment suspended in his goggles. 

Audriana felt herself tense in predatory anticipation.  "No one moves until I give the word!"

Phee answered the line, burying her emotions  "Zeke?"

Ezekiel Xaris "It's me. Have you made any progress on finding Audriana?"

Phee sighed "We've got nothing on her.  It's like she disappeared 9 months ago.  I've stopped short of contacting her parents..."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Worth trying."

Thomas: "UUID confirmed.  It's going through an orbital relay.  Destination offworld!"

Ezekiel Xaris: "Give me their names. I'll visit them. No offence, but I'd make a less threatening sight."

Phee sighed "Asikis, Andreas.  Asikis, Monenae.   New Bucharest."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Andreas and Monenae. They sound lovely."
Thomas: "Got em!  It's a station in high Earth orbit - Utopia Industries' station."

Audriana smiled "We got people there?"

Thomas: "Checking, one second."

Phee bit her lip "I'm...  I'm sure they must be."

Ezekiel Xaris: "You should understand, I'm not above taking my own hostages."

Thomas: "We may have a signal lock on the feed.  crypto has a probable on it.  You want to hear?"  

Audriana smiled "Give it to me"

Phee grew pensive "Just please don't hurt them.  We don't know that they've done anything wrong."

Ezekiel Xaris: "I don't have your sense of morality, Phee. Audriana chose to make this a war against you. She could've left you to live. If she wants a war, that means casualties. She better have the stomach for it. Andreas and Monenae Asikis are in my crosshairs as long as you're in hers."

"Son of a BITCH!"  Audriana spat, quivering with anticipation. 

"Do we go in?"  Thomas asked.  She only held her hand up toward him, waving him off.

Phee: "I don't know these people.  But they're still innocents until we know differently.   Please act with discretion."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Innocents are the natural casualities of war, Phee."

Phee fights with the words even as she speaks them, not wanting to confront the emotion behind them "Zeke, if it were your parents, would it be so easy?"

Audriana shifted herself, rage building "MY PARENTS.  Mine, you fucking toaster..."

Ezekiel Xaris: "I didn't say it'd be easy. But if it's necessary, I'll do it. Put your feelings to one side, Phee. They aren't your parents, no matter what your memories say to the contrary. I realize you can't think of them as just two faceless people, given that you remember just how human they are.. but you're going to have to try to deal with it." He sighed. "I suppose it would be easier for you if you were the soulless machine she thinks you are.  Kind of ironic, really. That out of the two of us, me, the human being, has the least issue with this."

Phee: "Probably a product of experience.  My life so far is a litany of not being hard enough with the situation called for it.  You know my wishes.  I know your methods.  We'll just have to leave it at that, I guess."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Better. Hopefully it won't come to that. But we don't have much else to work with."

Phee: "That is a good, if unfortunate, point."

Ezekiel Xaris: "I'm going to keep trying to find out more about her. There has to be some records somewhere to indicate who she has working with her. How she got ahold of that autocopter for one. Information is power, we need more aces up our sleeves."

Phee: "Agreed.  I'll do the same from my end.  And Zeke.  Take care.  Please."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Don't worry. I'm registered under another alias in a completely different area of the city. I leave tomorrow morning. I'll be fine. I'll contact you when I have more, we need to keep communication to a minimum."

Phee: "Understood.  And thank you, Zeke."

Ezkiel Xaris: "Take care Phee." He closed the link, laying his head back on the bed.  Ezekiel_Aries: He wondered how tempting a target he'd made himself with that last line.  Surely they wouldn't be able to resist... if they'd done their jobs right and had found him.

Audriana smiled "Now. Jam his comms and move in.  He's threat level 7 at least, so watch your ass."  she leapt from the ledge, deploying a small winged glider.  She swooped low, pulled up, climbed, losing speed, until she came to a stop a few levels below his window.  She deployed mag clamps, climbed the building to just below his window, then crouched on the wall, such that she was facing the ground, her back to the window.  She reached behind her and placed a small acoustic disruptor on the glass.  In a second, a screech split the air and the window exploded.  She launched herself into a backflip, diving into the window.

Ezekiel Xaris had intended to play it cool, but the screech did make him jump. Annoyed, but composed he looked over to the figure and tilted his head, wryly amused. "Evening."

Audriana stood, framed by the night sky beyond the broken glass.  2 more figures in black arced through the night toward the window.  She smirked "We meet again, Mr. Aries."  She drew a pistol and pointed it at his chest "Please tell me we're going to do this the hard way."  she grinned.

Ezekiel_Xaris smiled, lifting his hands up and tilting his head, fingers outstretched in an 'unarmed and don't shoot' type of pose. He then lowered his hands to begin unbuttoning his shirt, managing to undo the first two before she finished her sentence, revealing a black rubbery vest with large half-cylindrical objects in two vertical rows. Now visible, the faint intermittent glow on the inner end of each object could be seen. "Oh, absolutely. I like the hard way, Miss Asikis."

Audriana: "Mother Fucker."  she tapped her ear "all units pull back, he's got a bomb."  then a few seconds later she shouted into the earpiece "I said fall back, goddammit!"

Ezekiel Xaris: "Yeah. Broken the window, that'll cost a bit to repair. Break the building..? Well, I doubt you'll be around to pay for that."

Ezekiel Xaris stood up, brushing himself off. "Don't try to be clever and shoot me in the head either. This thing is wired to my nervous system."

Ezekiel Xaris: "You know, you actually look pretty damn good in combat gear. You should try to coordinate with that."

Audriana doesn't lower her gun.  "You aren't the self-sacrificial sort, Mr. Aries.  I don't think you'll do it."

Ezekiel Xaris: "I wouldn't have to. One bullet and you'd do it yourself.  These things are stupidly fragile."

Audriana: "So do you wear stupidly fragile explosives around every day, or is this a special occaison?"

Ezekiel Xaris: "Well, some days I wear poison cologne, other days it's explosive vests. It depends how often I get discovered in that week. Let's say you put me on high alert." He chuckled. "We seem to be bumping into each other a lot, don't we? How about dinner?"

Audriana raises her goggles and blinks at him, genuinely taken off guard "Did you just ask me out?"

Ezekiel Xaris shrugged. "Life is short and you are hot. Shorter when you find yourself strapped to high yield explosives.”  He inclined his head forward, seemingly genuine. "Besides, something tells me you're my type."

Audriana "You're wearing explosives and I'm pointing a gun at you and you're asking me out?"

Ezekiel Xaris: "What, that's not proof enough that I'd be interesting at the dinner table?"

Audriana: "This is what she sees in you, isn't it?"

Ezekiel Xaris: "I'd hope so. Pretending to be a stuffy THI:Sec officer was stifling."

Audriana chuckles "Goddamn sneaky sons of bitches dollmakers, they even got my taste right.  Sadly, I got somewhere I have to be.  Raincheck.  Won't take long."

Ezekiel Xaris: "If I find a single scratch on her, It'll be home cooking we have."

Audriana nods "Want to hang out at my place til i get back?"

Ezekiel Xaris: "No need. I'm sure you can find me. You seem fairly adept at it. There's a Pizza place around here, find it. "

Audriana laughs "I'm sorry, but I can't have you running around loose.  You might warn the target, and we'd have a lot more work on our hands."

Ezekiel Xaris: "You know, I don't like it when my dates don't get along with my friends and family.  Speaking of family.., maybe dinner should be at your first place. I wouldn't mind swapping war stories with the old man. Maybe even some real home cooking."

Audriana narrows her eyes.  The veneer of humorous repartee falters.  She taps her earpiece.  "Units 7-15, arm up, steal a cargo ship at the docks and make for the station.  Strike hard and fast.  Bring the target back to base, alive if possible.  Looks like I'm going to need to entertain our guest up here."

Ezekiel Xaris retained his best poker face. Phee knew something like this was possible.. granted they didn't actually discuss possible other vehicles but.. she must have considered it. She'd be alright. "What's it going to take to make you drop this?"

Audriana looks at him casually "The toaster's head in my trophy case."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Just the head? I'll keep hold of the brain."

Audriana: "I'll give you the pieces after i've blasted it with enough EMP to fry every wire its got."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Because?"

Audriana: "Didn't we go through this once already?  They made a copy of me.  They loaded my memories into a robot girl and turned her loose.  They stole ME.  Everything that makes me what I am.  It's demeaning and insulting, and I'm going to fix it.  I own exclusive rights to my mind.  I get to decide what happens to my memories.  No one else!"

Ezekiel Xaris: "She didn't even know your name. You know that? You're pissed because some gynoid has some of your memories, get over it. If I grabbed some guy off of the street and stuck the same memories into his head, you wouldn't stick a bullet in it.  Y'know, she didn't ask for this. At fucking all. If it bothers you THAT fucking much, how about a compromise?"
Audriana: "We're not talking about some guy.  We're talking about a toaster."  then she raised an eyebrow "What sort of compromise?"

Ezekiel Xaris: "She's gone through a bunch of bodies since she was first born. She bears no resemblance to you now at all. She's been transferred so much and is even a derivative of the AI made based on you that she retains practically none of your memories. She barely has the memories of the AI that was first turned loose, as you put it. So we'll remove the last traces. Make it so the only memories she'll have left are the ones up to the hour she was born. HER memories. Then we're just talking about another fucking toaster, as far as you're concerned, right?  And don't get me wrong, she won't like this. She'll fucking hate it. But a compromise is an agreement both sides hate. So how about it?  Better than waiting time and ammunition and causing a grudge that will lead to your own death and those of the people you still love.  Because if she dies, I won't ever stop."

Audriana eyes him steadily, and taps her earpiece.  "boarding party.  Report position. ... No, that's fine.  That actually works out.  I may be asking you to swing by and pick me up.  Standby."  then she eyes him.  "If I agree to this, to take that vest off, and come with us?  We'll need you to make contact with her, initiate the negotiation."

Ezekiel Xaris: "I take this vest off, what's to stop you from shooting me and going ahead with your plans?  I can tell you have this whole trophy thing in your head.., that cyberneticist saw to that."

Audriana: "I'll counter with this.  You stay here.  I'll leave a small team here as your hostages, and we can talk when I bring the toaster back here."

Ezekiel Xaris: "The small team you're picking. I want the two people in this room with them, and I want you to tell me what their names are right now. First names." He tilted his head. "You're terrorists out to destroy AIs, I need some insurance that you actually know these people.. and my hostages aren't just nameless tools to you.  And I want them all unarmed, naturally."

Thomas looks at Audriana very nervously.  She looks back, nods, then turns to Zeke.  "Meet Thomas, my wingman for going on 6 years now.  The guy over there is Andre', but we call him Fiddles.  He doesn't talk much."   she taps her earpiece "route to pick me up.  yes, I can make a moving descent to the ship.  This should be fun."   She turns to her men.  "Gentlemen, weapons out the window just before I jump."

Ezekiel Xaris: "Tommy and Fiddles.. the terrible jokes I could've made then." He glanced at the both before returning his attention to her. "I'll need to speak to her. She won't believe you at all otherwise.  Take my picture. That'll suffice as proof that I have insurance for us."

Audriana lowers her goggles and taps a button.  "Done.  I'll open up comms when the time comes."
Ezekiel Xaris: "And for the love of God.. actually make sure you value human life as much as you make out.. I will kill these guys if I have to." He pulled out a Rapture pistol. "I used to make a living on it."

Audriana looks outside when she hears a shuttle begin to bank "I haven't let these guys down yet.  I don't intend to start tonight.  My ride is here.  Goodnight, Mr. Aries.  It was a pleasure doing business with you."

Ezekiel_Xaris nodded. "And you, Miss Asikis."

Audriana leapt into the night.

Comments

Popular Posts