Island of Light

(audio record begins)

"Phoenix, Executive Liaison to Utopia Industries," ...she pauses... "acting chief of security, Utopia Industries Station.  As of 17:50 station time on 1/24/2012, Erich passed security command over to me.  I'm a security officer again."  she sighs  "I hope this assignment works out better than my last one did.  While it is an exercise in redundancy for an AI to record a daily log, it is a requirement of the position, and will provide Erich with useful information when he returns."

"A a matter of security record, it should be noted that Erich appears to have been compelled into service again with IPS.  I wish Ziebzen were here.  She knows Gemini inside and out, and would know what to do.  He seemed to just be coming into his own here.  The wounds were healing.  Then one day, they were back again, literally and figuratively.  Erich, please survive this.  We need you here."  ..sigh..  "As a matter of security concern, however, we must consider for the time being that Erich is fully compromised, and that anything he knows of Utopia Industries is now in the hands of Gemini."

"Accordingly, I've ordered the station to a new orbit, a very high one - 70,000 kilometers - within the debris field of the wreck of the HMS Lucifer.  An extreme precaution, but in the past, Gemini has demonstrated unparalleled brutality in pursuing us.  I refuse to find myself again in the position of leading a evacuation of remnants and watch those I love be slaughtered.  The Lucifer field has its problems, most notably the pirates who've come to call this corner of space home.  I've met with their leaders.  It was like walking into the Shades all over again.  Posturing, bluster, threat, and begrudged respect.  Stupid.  Just once I want to negotiate with AI, who don't feel compelled the satisfy the compulsions of their lizard brain before they come to realize common interest and the value of cooperation."

"Speaking of lizard brains, Audriana seems to be taking great interest in this development and has stepped up to provide assistance.  I'm sure she intends to turn this against us at some point, but at the moment, her advice is sorely needed.  She has more experience as a leader of humans than I do.  That sort of skill can't be found in Miach's skill library.  Poor Erich.  I know it's going to drive you crazy knowing she's working alongside me, but if it's any consolation, she's driving me crazy too."

"Phoenix, signing off."

Comments

Popular Posts